Thursday, October 30, 2008

Republican Ex-Mayor Comes Out vs. Prop 8

By: ANDY HUMM
10/30/2008

Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendlyGlenn Fait, 65, the former mayor of Folsom, California, and a Republican, took out an ad in the Folsom Telegraph to come out and urge a vote against Proposition 8. "I have lived in Folsom most of my life," he wrote in the ad. "As a gay man, I have a personal interest in Proposition 8. My civil rights are at stake."

Fait, a former Rotary Club president and associate dean at McGeorge School of Law, told the Sacramento Bee of his announcement, "I think people will be surprised."

Fait had been married for 40 years and came out to his family five years ago. In the ad he also mentioned his late aunt, Eleanor Fait, who was a prominent community activist involved in a 50-year relationship with another woman.

He told the newspaper he had no regrets about placing the ad: "This issue is too important. I had to do something."




©GayCityNews 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment