Friday, October 31, 2008

There's some confusion about Prop 8

In reading letters to the editor and talking to people about Proposition 8, I think there is some confusion about it. Some people believe that they are voting on if it is acceptable to be gay. We are not voting on if we think it is morally acceptable to be gay. We are voting on if gay people should be allowed to have the right to marry. Should we treat a portion of our population as "less than" and deny them a right? That is the question.

As far as people who feel threatened by this, I don't understand why. I am married and it doesn't bother or affect me or my marriage if same-sex couples marry too. In fact, it is none of my business.

I don't understand why people are so afraid of allowing gay people a right that everybody else has. It reminds me of an old saying, "You are what you fear the most."

J. Ristow
Penn Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment