Monday, November 3, 2008

Rain Doesn't Dampen Prop 8 Debate at Intersection

Posted By: Deborah Hoffman Posted By: Will Frampton

CITRUS HEIGHTS, CA - Standing side by side, they are miles apart. Two very passionate groups continue to face off on the most controversial issue on Tuesday's ballot: gay marriage.

The debate over Proposition 8 at the busy intersection of Sunrise Boulevard and Greenback Lane has been going on nearly non-stop since Saturday.

Toyka Hamonds lives a few streets away from the intersection. "I could hear them at night," she said. "Everybody's strong on their views."

With her own strong views, Hamonds decided to join the debate. "I'm for equality for everybody, nondiscrimination rights, just to be treated equal," she said.

Despite a cold drizzle on Monday, the participants spent hours holding "Yes on 8" and "No on 8" signs and chanting as passing cars honked in support or opposition.

Brandon Hardy said he was compelled to come from Rocklin. "I'm out here because I'm a father of three young children. I'm protecting the institution of marriage and I believe it's very important that we stand up for what we believe," he said.

Both Hardy and Hamonds agreed that the participants on both sides have remained respectful of everyone's free speech rights. "I haven't seen much negativity," said Hamonds. "Everyone's respecting eachother," said Hardy.

Monday's crowd, while very vocal, was much smaller than the huge crowds drawn to the intersection on Saturday and Sunday.

"I saw maybe 1,000 people," said protester George Popko. "But I don't know how many more are out there."

"Pretty much everyone out here is honking for one side or the other. I don't think anyone is neutral on this subject," said protester James Adams.

Adams, who opposes Prop 8, said the event was advertised on Craig's List.

"I support 'No on 8' because I believe anyone who's in love should have the right to be married," said Adams. "I don't believe it should be dictated by the government."

Fellow protester Chris Hicks agreed.

"It's taking away peoples' rights," said the 22-year-old. "It doesn't affect me directly, because I'm not gay, and I don't have gay friends who are going to get married. But it's still wrong to infringe upon people."

At times, protesting was heated.

"No on gay!" was the chant of one protester, mocking the cheer of "No on 8."

Some took their demonstrations to a unique level. One protester had a yellow pick-up truck with blue painting on the side, reading "Yes on 8."

"We do believe in (Proposition 8), because this is what's right," said the truck's driver Adrian Anton. "We don't believe in 'man and man,' and 'woman and woman.'"

"The children are the most important part," said Popko, who favors the measure to ban gay marriage. "We want to protect our children from being taught that homosexual marriage is normal, and that it's okay."

Citrus Height police said there were no reports of violence or arrests connected with the demonstrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment